Constitutional Accountability Center (CAC) is a nonprofit think tank, law firm, and action center dedicated to fulfilling the progressive promise of our Constitution’s text, history, and values. As the Trump Administration ignores the Constitution and attempts to dismantle progress, our mission has never been more important, and our litigation team has never been busier.
At this pivotal moment in our country, and important moment for our litigation team, we are seeking an Appellate Counsel to expand our capacity. The Appellate Counsel will assist in all aspects of CAC litigation, both in direct litigation cases and cases in which we file amicus briefs.
CAC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage candidates of color and candidates from underrepresented communities to apply.
To learn more about Constitutional Accountability Center, please visit www.theusconstitution.org.
The Appellate Counsel’s responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Reviewing certiorari petitions that are filed with the Supreme Court to identify candidates for possible amicus support;
- Conducting research for briefs to be filed in the Supreme Court and lower courts;
- Drafting briefs, including serving as lead drafter for some briefs, for litigation at the Supreme Court and in lower courts; and
- Writing blog posts and other pieces related to our litigation.
The Appellate Counsel reports to CAC’s Chief Counsel.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A J.D. and an excellent academic record;
- 2 – 5 years of legal experience post-law school;
- Be a member of the District of Columbia Bar or eligible upon hire to seek admission without examination;
- Outstanding research and writing skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Experience using Westlaw and The Bluebook;
- Demonstrated interest in promoting a progressive vision rooted in the Constitution’s text and history; and
- Ability to be a team player as well as a self-starter.
The starting salary range for this position is $80,000 – $90,000, depending on experience. CAC also provides an excellent benefit package to our staff.
To apply, please send a résumé, cover letter, and relevant writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.